Monday, May 10, 2010

a simple life


The methodical and repetitive act of hanging clothes out to dry is somewhat of a miracle here in the dry desert of Southern Arizona. At the peak of the summer heat by the time you finish hanging out a batch of wet clothes, the first ones out could very well be dry already.
And aside from the obvious perks of line drying (economical & environmental), I get such comfort from the feel of the damp cloth against my hot hands. Its a memory I have associated with summer since my childhood. Now, as a parent I can appreciate how it has become an opportunity to spend time with my daughter outside. She gets such great enjoyment from the simplest things, like transferring dirt in and out of cups and moving the cups around the yard. I can only imagine the great things she's thinking while I slowly hang the wet cloth around the yard.
It is hard to be out and enjoy the day in such a hot and dry climate, but we've got a good number of umbrellas and large trees for shade, a trusty kiddy pool, and a never ending supply of laundry and diapers for the clothesline.



No comments:

Post a Comment